Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Letters from Dad - Obedient as Adam and Eve

Sissy,
It's always good to read your letters. I can almost picture the things you describe. At least I can picture what you are doing and saying and how my little girl is handling things. I know that sometimes missions aren't always what we thought they would be, especially at first. It's not always fun and happy and successful and inspiring. However, it is a wonderful opportunity to test our faith, testimony, endurance and fervor. Missions are an opportunity to learn obedience.  When Adam and Eve are offering sacrifices unto the Lord. We read in Moses 5:5-6, "And he gave them commandments, that they should worship the Lord their God, and should offer the firstlings of their flocks, for an offering unto the Lord. And Adam was obedient unto the commandments of the Lord. And after many days and angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me".
A few things about this stand out to me. First, Adam and Eve were obedient. Second, Adam and Eve were obedient, even when they didn't understand why. Third, it was after "many days" when an angel finally came to them to explain the why. Sissy, The point is to be obedient no matter what, even when we don't understand why. And when we are ready, and in the Lord's time, he will help us to understand. But we have to have faith that he will and we will be blessed for it. D&C 82:9-10 states: "...I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation. I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."
I know missions are challenging, especially at first. They are meant to be. How do we grow if we aren't challenged? How can the Lord bless us if we are not obedient? If we want to get to the part where we have the fun, happy, successful and inspiring things that missions provide, then we need to follow the rules and we will have the spirit to be with us and direct us. I know through my own experience that this is true and I promise you, that you will too. Have faith, trust in the Lord. You are doing his work and he wants you to succeed. He will help you to succeed. Put your whole trust in him. I know you can do it.
God bless you. I love you.
Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment